1.5K views

Last year when we opened our newly purchased artificial Balsam Hill fir tree the offensive plastic odor was overwhelming. I thought it would subside after the tree was aired out for a day or two.

Not so! Not only did it smell terrible, but this artificial tree was much more time consuming than if we had put up a real tree and not as attractive after hours of messing with it. We had to keep this Balsam Hill fir tree closed up in our front entryway because it made the entire front rooms of our home reek with the terrible odor. Yesterday we visited our local tree farm as we have done in the years past.

Had a great time even though it was freezing out. This tree smells and looks wonderful. Balsam Hill should be ashamed to have a business that misleads customers regarding the products they are purchasing. And these artificial trees are quite expensive.

I thought we would have the tree for years to come and that would make up for the expense. Our Balsam Hill tree will be in our next garage sale and we will tell anyone who is interested that it has an terrible odor!

Reason of review: Damaged or defective.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Dec 02, 2014.

Comments

Thanks for sharing. I am so sick of all these poisons smells!

They are harming our children and our air quality. Don’t understand every company has to have their product made in China. It’s obvious they care more about money than the environment. Also , the products are loaded with lead.

Children should not touch the Christmas tree, and if they do they need to wash their hands. What child does not touch a Christmas tree. Just experienced the same problem but the Christmas tree I bought from Cosco. A beautiful tree but the smell literally made me very sick.

I called the company and they blamed everything must go. They claimed Costco‘s warehouse now or somebody returned the tree and sprayed something on it. It was very obvious that it was the smell of plastic poison plastic. The company has no concern whatsoever and cared nothing about me being sick.

The name of the tree was not even labeled properly.

I don’t even know the name. Only that it’s costcos pre lit tree

I am having the same problem. With my last artificial tree I didn't have terrible odors. I'm so upset because it's in my d

Redwood City, California, United States #910592

We're sorry for the inconvenience caused by the smell of your tree. Sometimes Christmas trees tend to have the residual smell of plastic, but the smell should gradually decrease over the days.

If the odor remains strong after a week, you can discreetly hang an air freshener in the foliage or place a box of charcoal under your tree to absorb the smell. Alternatively, you can use scented ornaments to lessen the odor and make your tree smell more pleasant.

to Alice Hughes #925128

Haha I guess you will have to get that "new tree" scent. Lol hang an air freshener.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've herd. And charcoal?

Your kids would really think they were bad if the saw they got coal on Christmas.

to Perspective buyer #1606060

Want they expect us to add more chemicals. I was going to buy their tree this year.

But after hearing these reviews I will not and I will tell everybody I know not to. I really thought balsam Hill was different, and that cared about Americans.

Or life for that matter! just another company offer money.