Balsam Hill - Deceptive Advertising

After reviewing the beautiful selection of trees on the Balsam Hill website we decide to splurge and order the 7.5 ft., narrow Norway Spruce pre-lit tree.Sadly we are replacing a Manhattan Pine purchased from K-mart 12 years ago.

We were shocked when we put up the first section but kept trying to convince ourselves that it would be okay. However after the 2nd section it became painfully obvious we could not "fluff" this tree to even remotely match the photo on the website. Five days later Balsam Hill stills has my money and have not sent the labels require to return the tree. By the way their deceptive advertising is costing me $50.00 for a label to return the tree.

However I suspect they are delaying the label so we will not fall into the 30 days we have to return the tree.

I have attached photos of the website posting and the actual tree I received.If you want a Merry Christmas stay away from the Balsam Hill website.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.

More Review Details

Helpful? 18 Yes 18 1 No 1
Had the same issue 17 Yes 17
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

May 31 #1166843

Guess Im never going to order from them, I was going to since it was time but Wal-Mart may be better

0 0 Reply

Nov 12, 2014 #899036 Greenville, South Carolina

You've just saved me from making a BIG mistake. Thanks. I am so sorry you have gone thorough this terrible experience with something that is supposed to bring joy to your home. BTW, Alice Hughes, you might try changing your cut and paste response to all of the complaints about your company and its crappy trees!

4 0 Reply

Nov 09, 2014 #897782

Oh my goodness, the picture you posted of the tree you received, definitely does not resemble the tree they advertised. We were thinking of investing in a Balsam Hill tree, but I am so glad that I came on here to read the reviews & actually see the poor quality everyone is talking about. I am so sorry to each of you who have bought a tree from them & for the pain and hassle they caused. Christmas is suppose to be a joyous time of year and Balsam Hill definitely proved that they don't care through all the posts that I am seeing here and elsewhere. Time for them to close their doors!!

7 0 Reply
Alice Hughes

Dec 07, 2013 #754090 Redwood City, California

Hi Michelle, can you please email us your Order ID to We'd like to review the correspondence you've had with our customer service team and take a look at the specifics of your order to possibly pursue further options for you. Thank you

0 5 Reply

Dec 02, 2013 #751599 Sioux Falls, South Dakota

We purchased a Olympia Spruce Tree advertised to be 7' high, full 56" wide and it measures 48". A huge disappointment after putting it together and now were stuck with returning it paying for shipping. This false advertisement is principally wrong.

7 0 Reply
Alice Hughes

Nov 29, 2013 #750044 Redwood City, California

Hi, this is Alice from Balsam Hill. We sincerely apologize for the delay in service and your disappointment in the Norway Spruce. Kindly send us your Order ID to so we can follow-up on your order for you. Thank you.

1 7 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Balsam Hill. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Balsam Hill.
Filing a new complaint about